Friday, April 2, 2010

What Jesus Could Have Done, What He Did (part 2)

“And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You gave me to do.

And now, O Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was.”—
John 17:3-5

Jesus, Savior, Lord of all!
The Word made flesh, Your ultimate call
To save mankind. Oh! What a price!
You could have not come. You gave your life!

My heart breaks in two within my chest
When I know God gave His very best
To save even me from death and hell!
Oh! Word made flesh! Now all is well!

In my finite mind I can barely comprehend
The magnitude of this sacrifice and its end;
The shame You bore because of me,
The love that took You to Calvary!

What can I offer You in sacrifice?
Here I give my heart, my soul, my life!
My Gethsemane, so small beside your blood
That flowed so freely to make me good!

You could have remained in Heaven’s glory,
Instead you chose earth and death so gory.
The Father and His purpose You glorify:
To save rank sinners such as I!

Abundant life on earth and eternal life above
Are both results of Your infinite love.
I forget not what You could have done, what You did,
For You stepped into Time the dread curse to rid.

-Ethelene Dyer Jones
March 20, 2010 (After writing devotional by same title.)

No comments:

Post a Comment