Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Expressing Love through Music

“I will praise You, O Lord, with my whole heart; I will tell of all your marvelous works. I will be glad and rejoice in You; I will sing praise to Your name, O Most High.” –Psalm 9:1-2 (NKJV)

Sometimes there are occasions the Christian enjoys that are outstanding for the inspiration and God-presence they bring. Last evening was such a time. Our church was host to a large instrumental and choral group of Georgia Baptist ministers of music. Called the Sons of Jubal, the group received this name in 1984 when Rev. Dr. Paul McCommon, then head of the Music Department of the Georgia Baptist Convention, organized the group. He chose the name from the one reference to Jubal in the Bible: “And Adah bore Jabal. He was the father of those who dwell in tents and have livestock. His brother’s name was Jubal. He was the father of all those who play the harp and flute.” -Genesis 4:20-21 (NKJV)

The called and set-apart musicians throughout Georgia are professionally trained to make a good sound with voices. Those who play in the orchestra and hand bell choir, are, like Jubal of old, skilled on musical instruments. From the first notes from the orchestra to the last note from the moving choral finale, “Midnight Cry,” the men played and sang from their hearts, and were able to convey to the audience the presence and power of God through music. I told a friend after the concert: “I felt like I was in Heaven, and I didn’t want it to end!” Without a doubt, all touched by the excellent concert felt the majesty and knew the love of God expressed through music.

As I listened and worshiped, my mind turned to many thoughts. First, I wished that my beloved husband Grover could have been able to be present and hear. We both knew, loved and worked with Dr. Paul McCommon who founded the group in 1984. This outstanding man of God is now in the heavenly choir, and probably also doing solos before the throne. I thanked God for all the good memories of Dr. McCommon.

Many of the current members of Sons of Jubal had attended Youth Music Camps provided by the GBC Department of Music when my children, Keith and Cynthia, were teenagers, and when many of the youth from my own youth choirs attended. What expert training in music and in Christian living they received at Youth Music Camp. But most important, they learned to express their love of God through music. I was so fortunate to have both Keith and Cynthia in attendance at the concert on February 11. They still love and appreciate music and love and worship God through its message and power.

A foretaste of Heaven, the music of Sons of Jubal was a sacrifice of praise. And they led us thereby to lift our own hearts, to express our own music to God, a love song to Him. I went to the concert heavy-hearted and concerned about still another challenge in my husband’s downward-slide with his illness. God, through the music of Sons of Jubal, ministered at the point of my need and restored my spirit.

Like the Psalmist I want always to keep a song in my heart, a song of love for God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Sirit, blessed Trinity. "I will praise You, O Lord, with my whole heart; I will tell of all Your marvelous works. I will be glad and rejoice in You; I will sing praise to Your name, O Most High.”

c Ethelene Dyer Jones; Friday, February 12, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment