Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Sacrifice without Love Is Nothing

“And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.” –I Corinthians 13:3
We hear much now, especially during this period of economic distress, of how many are poverty-stricken in the world. Numerous organizations are dedicated to feeding the hungry. In my mailbox come frequent letters soliciting funds for food distribution. Soup kitchens and food pantries also seek to relieve some of the hunger that plagues our society. If I have any compassion at all, I will not want anyone to go hungry. Yet at the same time, how can I respond to so many requests for money for food? I have an obligation to check the authenticity of requests. I will seek to respond to those that are honest and put the money sent into actual food for the hungry. Paul said that if we give “all our goods to feed the poor … but have not love, it profits me nothing.” Genuine love for the hungry should always precede my giving to relieve it. I should think of myself as being the one hungry. How would I feel if my sustenance came from those who merely felt some need to make a token contribution for food without any compassion, mercy and love?

In the days of the early church, many people met death for their faith. In Fox’s Book of Martyrs we read accounts of stalwart Christians who counted it a privilege to be burned at the stake or cast to lions rather than recant their faith. Even today, we hear of those in some countries who meet death because of their faith. But Paul warned us that to meet a martyr’s death, and have not love, “it profits me nothing.” Sometimes we pour out our lives in causes, giving our lives in sacrifice to callings that have no connection to God’s claim on our lives. This could be a consuming interest for a job, an ambition outside the parameters of God’s calling, or even pleasures that are more important than our devotion and commitment to God. We can “burn up” and “burn out” for good causes without giving God preeminence. Where am I on “giving my body to be burned?”

Prayer: God, teach me to love You supremely and others as myself. Amen.

[Correction: In yesterday’s devotional, “Expressing Love through Music,” the date when Dr. Paul McCommon organized the Sons of Jubal men’s chorus should have read 1954. Thanks, Rev. John Cotton, for seeing and correcting my typo!]

c Ethelene Dyer Jones; Saturday, February 13, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment